Program Session: October 22-26, 2018
Venue: Lahore, Pakistan
Presented in collaboration with
Evidence For Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School
Centers for Learning on Evaluation and Results (CLEAR)
How can we ensure that development policies and programs in Pakistan achieve maximum impact? This question is at the core of CERP’s flagship Evidence-Based Program Design and Implementation workshop, a five-day training workshop led by leading faculty from Harvard University and Lahore University of Management Sciences. This workshop will provide participants with the technical tools required to apply a structured and highly practical approach to program design and implementation that incorporates economic theory and evidence at every stage to maximize program effectiveness. This approach emphasizes expanding the scope of traditional monitoring and evaluation methods.
What Does This Course Offer?
The course will enable participants to:
- Adopt a structured approach to problem solving using theory and evidence
- Deepen their understanding of theory of change and indicator development.
- Examine impact of programs using data-driven experimental and non-experimental evaluation methods.
- Understand data collection processes, sampling design and data collection methods.
- Apply the Smart Policy Design framework to real-world problems – this new approach to program design, pioneered by experts at Evidence for Policy Design (EPoD) at Harvard Kennedy School (HKS), incorporates key insights from the policy context, accounts for and reflects individuals’ incentives, and makes smart use of data and feedback loops to constantly design, test and refine programs and policy solutions.
Who Should Attend
The program is designed for a broad range of actors who play strategic decision-making roles in their organizations, including:
- Practitioners working in the development sector.
- Mid-tier government officials in policy programs.
- Researchers, academicians, and economists.
- Managers and project officers.
The program uses a blend of pedagogical techniques, each of which adds its own flavor to the overall experience of our participants.
Lectures and in-class case studies
In-class lectures delivered by CERP’s international Research Fellows and Board Members bring in a wealth of knowledge on the EPoD Smart Policy Design, effective M&E practices, sampling and data collection protocols and evaluation methods used in research. Case studies provide valuable insight into the local policy context and allow participants to engage directly with issues relevant to their fields.
Blended learning through Building Capacity to Use Research Evidence (BCURE) modules
The course provides participants access to online digital modules developed by EPoD in collaboration with the Strengthening Learning and Teaching Excellence (SLATE) at Harvard. These modules aim to build skills for using data and evidence in decision-making through an innovative blended learning approach that integrates individual computer-based learning with active learning in the classroom.
Group work sessions run across all four days of the course, allowing participants to interact with peers from diverse backgrounds to develop solutions to assigned real-world problems by applying the Smart Policy Design framework. Participants will work under close mentorship of CERP faculty and training assistants to strategize and refine their program design proposals. Groups will present their work on the final day of the course which will be followed by feedback from faculty and peers.
The program will be taught by CERP Research Fellows based at Harvard University, Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), and CERP Research Staff, bringing a wealth of knowledge on M&E practices and evaluation methods used in research in Pakistan.
Interested applicants are required to fill out the application form by October 12, 11:59 p.m.
Shortlisted candidates will be informed via email by October 1.
Final payment deadline is October 5.
Venue, Fees and Scholarships
The course will be held in Lahore. Venue will be communicated to participants closer to the course dates.
The fees for the course are as follow
- Training fee is PKR 100,000/participant.
- For 3 or more participants from same organization, the fee will be PKR 75,000/participant.